KING'S HALL COMMUNITY CENTRE

History of King's Hall

We are currently researching the history of the hall and are working with Brent Archive to preserve some of the wonderful photographic records kept by the King's Hall Association over its sixty plus years!

King's Hall, located on the corner of Harlesden Road and King's Road in Willesden Green, was completed on 22nd September 1905 and was originally built as a meeting place for the Plymouth Brethren - a conservative evangelical Christian group that attracted many denominations.

The Brethren used the hall between 1907 and 1947, whereupon it was acquired through private donations and funds from the Middlesex County Council for the sum of £2,000 and became Willesden's first Community Centre in May 1947; as well as one of the earliest community centres in Britain. Since then the Hall has been run by an independent voluntary association, the King's Hall Community Association. This Association has run the Hall's activities for the last 60 years, organising everything from women's darts, cricket and ballroom dancing to variety shows and amateur dramatics.

When it was opened the Associations first Chairman Mr C. E. P. Taylor J.P. declared King's Hall 'a place where the people of the district and surrounding districts would gather and learn something about life and which made life really worth living'.

The Willesden Chronicle, Friday May 2nd 1947

ceiling
 
  sign
KING'S HALL, 155 HARLESDEN ROAD, WILLESDEN GREEN, LONDON, NW10 2BS
TELEPHONE: 020 8459 3487, EMAIL: kingshallwillesden@hotmail.com
CHAIRMAN: Brian Stroud TREASURER: Lucy Swift SECRETARY: Jackie Baines